Tuesday 24 July 2012

Salsa Fest: Our Version

IMPULSIVE DECISIONS! Are the best kind. Especially when they turn out to be awesome. On Sunday we had an impromptu Mexican Fiesta, which is something everybody needs to do.

So just this past weekend was the annual Sun and Salsa Festival in Calgary... something that I have never been to, but was hoping to attend this year. Alas, due to the fact that I have to earn money to pay for important things like cookbooks etc, I was unable to make it down to Salsa Fest.

No Fiesta is complete without
chill-pepper garland... obviously.
BUT I will NOT let that stop me from enjoying in my own Salsa-Inspired festivities! I marched to my parents and demanded a change in dinner plans.
To my great joy, they not only approved of my grand salsa plans, but offered to go out (right then) to buy groceries and to invite family over to join in the Partay. I love my family.

We made three kinds of salsa (four if you change the name of our classic guacamole to Tomato Avocado Salsa) and they were all delish. Served up with grilled chicken, cheese, sour cream, lettuce and a variety of chips... We had a winner of a dinner.

Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Avocado & Tomato Salsa
OH and of course I made dessert... duh.






And keeping with the theme (because themes are my thing), I made a Sweet Strawberry Salsa to use as a topping on vanilla ice cream. Which was totally different, and totally rad.

Also, my Aunt brought over a freshly baked Saskatoon Berry pie... with berries that were picked fresh from her backyard that very same day. You can't get any fresher, people.

Courtesy of The Amazing Aunt

I ask you, does that not look like a perfect pie?

The moral of this story is: If Lari cannot come to Salsa Fest, Lari makes the Salsa Fest come to her.

Enjoy having a salsa experiment of your own!
XO Larissa

No comments:

Post a Comment