Saturday 8 September 2012

Mocha Fudge Brownie Cake

I have an apology to make: I do not have a good photo of this cake. I am sorry! But it is one of those things where I made it in the morning before school, and when I came back the family was already into it before there was time to snap a photo! Luckily, I have this Instagram for proof. Sometimes things are just too fantastic to stop and take a photo. Live life as it happens, you know? You can choose to keep, or omit the happy birthday message to my Great Auntie Irene; I am sure she wouldn't mind either way.
Let me first say that this is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten or made. I know, that's a big thing to say, but it truly was delish. I have been craving a brownie lately, and this cake is just what the Brownie Doctor ordered! (Man I wish that was a real profession.) It is beautifully dense like a brownie, and the light coffee-flavoured whip cream is a dreamy accompaniment. If you are opposed to coffee flavoured whip cream (get out of town first) then you can flavour the cream however you like! Strained raspberry puree would be good, or even just some vanilla extract and sugar added to the cream would be great.
Mocha Fudge Brownie Cake
Notes: I switched things up only a tiny bit in this one, I toasted my pecans before chopping them and adding them to the batter, and I would highly recommend it. Also, I used dark brown sugar in the Coffee Cream rather than light... for the simple fact that I forgot to write light brown sugar on the shopping list. Still turned out awesome.

For the BROWNIE CAKE:
  • 1 1/4 cups melted butter
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
Prepare your pans for cake batter battle! Do this by greasing two 9" pans with butter, and dust them with flour, tapping out the excess. For extra protection and cake-removal-confidence, cut out a circle of parchment paper to line the bottom of your pan with.

Stir together the melted butter and cocoa powder, set aside. Beat eggs in a mixer till foamy, add in salt and vanilla. Add sugar and beat well, add the cooled chocolate mixture and blend. Sift the flour over the batter and fold in. Next fold in the pecan pieces. Pour half the batter into each pan.

Bake at 350 (325 for my oven) for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 5 to 10 minutes, then cool out of pans completely before you frost them, *remember to peel off parchment paper if you used it*. At this stage, you can choose to wrap the cakes in plastic wrap and freeze them (up to 4 weeks) until cake day.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT OVER BAKING!
Do you want a moist fudgey brownie like cake? Then yeah, no over baking. It is the worst feeling. And I have totally never experienced that before... ahem..

For the COFFEE CREAM:

  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
  • 2 tsp instant coffee powder
Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and coffee are dissolved. Beat until you have stiff peaks of fluffy, coffee flavoured whip cream!

KITCHEN TIP!! This is a fun little secret that I learned from hours of studying the Food Network. If you want your whip cream to hold it's fragile peaks and swirls for hours, stir in about 1 tsp of skim milk powder in. You can do this at any stage of whipping it, beginning middle or end... and it works like a dream!

CAKE ASSEMBLY!

Spread the Coffee Cream over the top of the bottom cake layer, spreading right to the edges. Place the top cake layer on top, and frost the top and sides, covering the cake completely. Garnish the cake with whatever you like! The original recipe suggests chocolate curls, I used melted chocolate chips to write a happy birthday message. Refrigerate 1 hour or more before serving.

ENJOY! And happy Cake Baking.
<3 Lari



No comments:

Post a Comment